Saturday, July 26, 2014

Aspirations!

This aboard experience exposed me to different ideas for designs of building, roads, and bridges. Valencia roadways and buildings are different from the US in a couple of ways. The street intersections are shapes of circles in certain areas that lead to different directions. The buildings are form differently as well. The flats (apartments) are built on top of restaurants, shops, bars and more. I think it saves people the burden of driving everywhere and can walk to their destination. It’s everything walking distance from where they stay and also saves gas and the environment. I’ve experience the transportation here every day and I must say that it is something to consider for certain cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Washington and etc. My skills have improved more than I expected because I was thinking the internship would just be the same thing as class work. The projects I’m experiencing are things actually engineers work with like the GPR (ground penetrating radar) and MIRA tomography. The MIRA is a multi-functional array ultrasonic system engineered to detect and evaluate internal defects in concrete structures such as honeycombs and voids. It’s one of the most advanced techniques in non-destructive testing (NDT) of concrete.  The MIRA has 40 transmitting probes that scan the subsurface of the structure for thickness and flaw detection. The GPR is a non-destructive method that uses radar pulses to image the subsurface and detects the reflect signals. The velocity of the signals is depended on the dielectric constant.

I plan on using this aboard experience to prepare me for my higher level courses coming soon. I know at least some of the higher courses will have something to do with my current project at AIDICO like professional design and reinforce concrete. This experience is giving me a head start on these classes amongst most of my classmates. I can see it now, the professor shows up in class and I’m sitting in the first row with the biggest smirk on my face. I already know how the assignment going to go and everybody else is clueless to the material at hand. I know I’ll be the first one to know most of the info before the professor even introduces it to the class. Everyone will be asking me for help because I earned the opportunity to gain hands-on experiences and collect information from it. As well as the bachelor’s degree it can help when I’m obtaining my master’s degree and perhaps my Ph.D. it definitely encourage me to do more research within my degree and studies for my classes to be prepare before time. I thought it was nothing I can use with this experience but now I feel sure that it’s more than what I think. Basically the international experience helped me get ahead of the game in certain classes.


This international experience has impact my decision for my future career a lot. Before this experience I never thought of bringing any business to foreign countries but I see it can be an asset now. When I own my company I will bring my business out the US and take it to not only Spain but other countries as well. Taking it out the states can help others in search for a job that’s not in the US and be able to succeed at one of the best engineering firms around the world. Also it’ll give employees the opportunity to travel to different countries they always wanted to visit but of course they have to work normal hours. That’ll lead to more money for me and my company reaching overseas and branching out. Hiring employees that are bilingual is an asset to this projection of my company because it’ll be more efficient to the company and people around. I know for a fact that I’m not going to be the type to sit in an office all day. I’m more of a hands-on type of guy because I think sitting in the office all day is boring but that’s just my opinion. The aboard experiences help me realized that being at the site is so better than being in a being all day and less active. But this experience also challenges me to achieve in one of my personal career goal as well. My goal is being able to retire in an early age but I know it’s almost impossible to do so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment