Sunday, July 13, 2014

Why Civil Engineering?

Why pursue a degree in civil engineering you ask! Most people say that they’re the lowest paid engineering. Some of my engineering buddies said “Your major sucks compared to mines, y’all study concrete for a whole year. That’s so pointless”. He only saying that because his an chemical engineering and have more and exciting things to do compared to me and my civil engineering. The money isn't all that matters when it’s something you love doing. That doesn't matter to me because I love to build, draw, and design since I was younger, that excites me just like chemical engineering excites my friend. The fact that I’m on the site all day, looking over a group of people, letting them know how I want and acquire the bridge or building to best fit my design is just breath taking for me. Since 3rd grade in my life, I already started to do things pertaining to engineering, such as, using Lego’s to build houses and bridges, drawing them out on paper, and helping my father with planning and designs at home. I followed my father’s footsteps and became something he always wanted, an engineering degree. I want this degree to help fulfill my father’s dream and making my parents and family so proud of me. When I put my mind to something and the outcome always makes my family happy and proud, nothing makes me happier.

There's a couple of factors on why I choose this Engineering major. I mean there are many many other options I could have gone with but this particular major caught my attention for what I'm trying to achieve. A big factor for choosing this profession is mainly supporting my family for as long as I can. I was raised with a lot of things and brought up in a real bad neighborhood for majority of my life. I don't want my family that I hope of having growing up in that environment, I want better for me and my family. My parents also influenced me in getting this occupation BIG TIME!! They noticed since I was younger that math classes was were my A's coming from kindergarten to senior of high school. I don't know what made them think I would like doing this but they know me better than anyone else in this world. I have other reason but them reason are too personal just to put out like that. It's more of sad story of a certain part of my life and I don't like to talk about it. I'm already tearing up thinking about...
I think anybody reading this looking at me like this ^ lol...but I know that personal reason is keeping me focused on the big picture and making it to the top. One last factor is the people around trying to keep me down called haters. I know there's a lot of people who want to see me fail in my endeavors and wish to be in my shoes as well. Not letting that stop me from getting to my dream.
I expect to bring to the table to this profession is my creativity and knowledge of which I learned to make the infrastructure better. Right now the infrastructure in our society is really bad as of now. The ASCE determined the graded of a D+, but it’s better than last year which was a D-. I expect my knowledge than I've gained to help build and strengthen for a better grade. Nobody likes failing grades and that’s a failure in my eyes.  The information I’m learning in my first internship/research position in Valencia, Spain, working with AIDICO will help me progress and proceed to better this infrastructure in the future. Learning from AIDICO is just one of many steps to make my vision and reality.

 Becoming a civil engineer will help me reach my goals of becoming a recording artist/performer because they both are challenging dreams to overcome but learning how to think critical and perform unbelievable task will help me strive for the music industry. I’m a young man coming for the top spot however I can do it. Civil Engineering takes a lot of critical thinking and perseverance to become best at the job and running my own company. It takes a lot of money as well for engineering and from word of mouth and personal experiences; it’s the same way in the music industry. Also, owning one of the most prestige engineering firms is one of my goals to achievement.  I want to lead my own engineering company for other engineers who wish to make their dreams come true as I desire. This profession makes you think in unique ways of different solutions and pick the best choice, one of the traits a leader should have as well. The collaborations civil engineers have with others are great practices for a leader of a team or company. Listening to the employees and combining their ideals with mines could make the company more efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment